IndyCar Paddock

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

IndyCar Paddock

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:12 am

This is the place for IndyCar Series related but not necessarily post related chat.
Both real world and Sim chat welcome.
As usual keep it classy and most of all enjoy.

Back to top Go down

Re: IndyCar Paddock

Post by OctoberDusk06 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:53 am

Practice tomorrow, right?

OctoberDusk06

2017 Indycar World Challenge Champion

http://www.racedepartment.com/members/rob.140186/

Back to top Go down

Post by OctoberDusk06 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:20 am

Zachary Claman De Melo. Another Canadian that we might see next year. Extremely talented on ovals.
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/145448-claman-de-melo-in-frame-for-indycar-opportunity

Interesting. I wish I had their damper settings. Those things are still somewhat of a mystery to me.
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/145471-indycar-dampers-to-remain-open-for-development

OctoberDusk06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:19 am

@OctoberDusk06 wrote:Practice tomorrow, right?

Yes mate I’ll open a lobby at 8pm my time. Despite having a couple of day off I haven’t had a great deal of time with chores and what not so a bit behind.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:45 pm

DSRLReadingRich wrote:

Yes mate I’ll open a lobby at 8pm my time. Despite having a couple of day off I haven’t had a great deal of time with chores and what not so a bit behind.

I meant 9pm UK not 8pm

Back to top Go down

Post by EpilepticToast on Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:05 pm

DSRLReadingRich wrote:
DSRLReadingRich wrote:

I meant 9pm UK not 8pm
so that's 5pm Eastern yeah? Clocks haven't changed here yet

Toast
DSRL Rally Championship Coordinator
GT3 Endurance Division 1 Champion  
Formula Gulf Champion
GT1 Division 1 Champion
200K Prototype Class Champion
DSRL RC: FWD Class Champion
DSRL RC: Season 2,3,& 4 Champion

EpilepticToast

​Eight Time Champion
​Eight Time Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:20 pm

@EpilepticToast wrote:
DSRLReadingRich wrote:
DSRLReadingRich wrote:

I meant 9pm UK not 8pm

Yes mate

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm

@EpilepticToast wrote:
DSRLReadingRich wrote:
DSRLReadingRich wrote:

I meant 9pm UK not 8pm

Clocks change tonight for you don't they?

Admin

DSRL Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by EpilepticToast on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:46 pm

yeah 2:00am

Toast
DSRL Rally Championship Coordinator
GT3 Endurance Division 1 Champion  
Formula Gulf Champion
GT1 Division 1 Champion
200K Prototype Class Champion
DSRL RC: FWD Class Champion
DSRL RC: Season 2,3,& 4 Champion

EpilepticToast

​Eight Time Champion
​Eight Time Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by OctoberDusk06 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:04 pm

@EpilepticToast wrote:yeah 2:00am

Wish they would never change back.

OctoberDusk06

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammerpgh on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:37 am

Afternoon all,

Just in case anyone is not aware of it I spotted at lunchtime when I went home for a quick Assetto spin that Project Cars 2 is available at 15 quid discount with Xbox Live Gold so you can pick it up for £34.99 at the moment. Not sure how long that offer is on for though as it's not part of the usual monthly games with Gold package but just seems to be a one off thing right now so could be short lived so grab it will you can if interested.

I've also posted this in the general Project Cars 2 chat forum but thought I would include it here just in case anyone misses it there.

Hammerpgh

​​​​​
​​​​​

Back to top Go down

Post by OctoberDusk06 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:10 pm

In addition, at least in America, two Assetto DLC packs (Ferrari SF17 and muscle cars) are available for $5 each. A steal. The Ferrari alone is worth $20 since it actually feels like I imagine an F1 car would (e.g. not easy).

OctoberDusk06

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammerpgh on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:49 pm

Patch 3 is now live. A whopping 6.18GB!!

Hammerpgh

​​​​​
​​​​​

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:54 pm

@Hammerpgh wrote:Patch 3 is now live.  A whopping 6.18GB!!

Downloading now

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammerpgh on Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:43 pm

What's the thoughts on it so far.  Any significant improvements noticeable for you guys that have played the game from day one.

I played a fair bit today and ran a 30 car GT3 field at Silverstone and performance seemed better to me. The AI also were pretty decent in my view. It would be interesting to see what it has done to multiplayer and whether that has improved enough to make online racing more viable.

I did have an odd experience where at a pit stop I left the game paused for a while and when I went back I no longer had control of my car, the console took over. Couldn't find anyway to get it back so had to quit the race Surprised

I'm finding the general setup of races and interface a bit confusing at the moment. It's much nicer than the first game but I'm never sure whether my changes have taken effect or not and as a result kept going backwards and forwards into the various race and setup screens hoping it would stick. Sometimes it did sometimes it didn't. I guess I'll get used to it but at the moment it's a bit annoying!

Hammerpgh

​​​​​
​​​​​

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:02 am

@Hammerpgh wrote:What's the thoughts on it so far.  Any significant improvements noticeable for you guys that have played the game from day one.

I played a fair bit today and ran a 30 car GT3 field at Silverstone and performance seemed better to me. The AI also were pretty decent in my view. It would be interesting to see what it has done to multiplayer and whether that has improved enough to make online racing more viable.

I did have an odd experience where at a pit stop I left the game paused for a while and when I went back I no longer had control of my car, the console took over. Couldn't find anyway to get it back so had to quit the race Surprised

I'm finding the general setup of races and interface a bit confusing at the moment. It's much nicer than the first game but I'm never sure whether my changes have taken effect or not and as a result kept going backwards and forwards into the various race and setup screens hoping it would stick. Sometimes it did sometimes it didn't. I guess I'll get used to it but at the moment it's a bit annoying!

Yeah the menus are a bit different from Pcars which I didn’t think needed changing that much. Also I liked having a warm up session as it allowed for people to take a call of nature (or Marlboro) and to get a quick drink would be really handy when we want to do realistic race lengths.
I had a quick go Thursday night with Astra TCR (which is great fun) and the car seemed more positive. The wheel was heavy like it was on a road surface and not on angel delight and I was also able to catch some sticky moments AC style.
I hope to try some more powerful cars later today and tomorrow but with the kids having a better social life than I do and being on Dads taxi duty I don’t know how much, what in or when.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammerpgh on Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:29 pm

Damn!! Didn't realise that they had done away with the warm-up session. That's not the greatest bit of thinking.

Have you done any practice at Watkins Glen yet? I had a practice there this morning but struggled to match the AI. Can't remember what times I was setting there in pCars 1 but I'm sure it was better than I managed this morning.

The setup process is a bit confusing. In pCars 1 you could change things in the setup and take it out on track to test it but now it seems you have to save the setup before going out on track. Bit of a pain having to do it that way as each little tweak requires a new save.

Hammerpgh

​​​​​
​​​​​

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:37 am

@Hammerpgh wrote:Damn!! Didn't realise that they had done away with the warm-up session. That's not the greatest bit of thinking.

Have you done any practice at Watkins Glen yet?  I had a practice there this morning but struggled to match the AI. Can't remember what times I was setting there in pCars 1 but I'm sure it was better than I managed this morning.

The setup process is a bit confusing. In pCars 1 you could change things in the setup and take it out on track to test it but now it seems you have to save the setup before going out on track. Bit of a pain having to do it that way as each little tweak requires a new save.

I haven’t done the Glen in the IndyCar yet but I have done a lot of Long Beach. Once you get the hang of the car it’s great. I think there’s a bit more power and aero on the new game.
Yeah again sets didn’t really need to be touch to much and was a lot more intuitive before but you do get used to it pretty quick

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammerpgh on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:36 am

I'll have a look at Long Beach next then as its been a long time since I've driven an Indycar around there. Probably back in my PC Papyrus Indycar sim days.

What sort of times are you looking at there and what level of AI do you race.

Hammerpgh

​​​​​
​​​​​

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:58 am

Not sure off the top of my head times wise.
With the AI o tend to adjust it about as there still a bit gun hoe for open wheels

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammerpgh on Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:18 pm

Just had a little run out there Rich.. I feel like a real Indycar driver going round there,  something about it that is just totally Indycar. Took me a while to get the hang of that hairpin though, I was thinking how the hell do I get around here for several laps lol

I get what you mean about the AI, they are a bit like angry hornets in these cars and dive in at the last second which is especially dangerous with the flakey damage modelling. I'm not sure they've got that right and I don't like the whole predefined damage level.. 22, 45, 68 ahs 100 Surprised is a bit pants. How has it been with the performance impacting level we run our races with as I've only tried it on its full setting.

Hammerpgh

​​​​​
​​​​​

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:23 pm

@Hammerpgh wrote:Just had a little run out there Rich.. I feel like a real Indycar driver going round there,  something about it that is just totally Indycar. Took me a while to get the hang of that hairpin though, I was thinking how the hell do I get around here for several laps lol

I get what you mean about the AI, they are a bit like angry hornets in these cars and dive in at the last second which is especially dangerous with the flakey damage modelling. I'm not sure they've got that right and I don't like the whole predefined damage level.. 22, 45, 68 ahs 100 Surprised is a bit pants. How has it been with the performance impacting level we run our races with as I've only tried it on its full setting.

If you touch any thing wings come off which to be fair is a lot more realistic than we had before.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammerpgh on Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:14 pm

DSRLReadingRich wrote:
@Hammerpgh wrote:Just had a little run out there Rich.. I feel like a real Indycar driver going round there,  something about it that is just totally Indycar. Took me a while to get the hang of that hairpin though, I was thinking how the hell do I get around here for several laps lol

If you touch any thing wings come off which to be fair is a lot more realistic than we had before.
Think they've gone a bit too far the other way tbh. Slightest contact now causes too much damage... one incident tonight I didn't even know there had been contact and it jumped to 68%. The pit crews are going to be asking for overtime in our races lol

Hammerpgh

​​​​​
​​​​​

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammerpgh on Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:18 am

I tried out the Indycar at Indianapolis on Tuesday night and have to say the FFB was a major disappointment for the most part and highlighted more frustrating and annoying design decisions from SMS.

I actually thought the lost FFB bug had hit again but then I realised that it wasn't lost but was just really, really weak. No road feel, virtually nothing even if going over the grass, no forces at work on the wheel when going at 200+mph through the turns and pretty much zero wheel weight either. I tried out the various flavours but felt no difference whatsoever so started playing around with the sliders to no great effect even when I ended up maxing everything out, it was still very weak.

I pretty much gave up trying to improve it at that point and started testing out the button mapping instead using my little wireless keyboard and I mapped the Tone and Volume settings to it. It seemed to work although was a bit intermittent but I just put that down to the fact that the keyboard batteries needed charging as I knew they were low. I was disappointed to find that you get no visual indication of the change like you do when changing brake bias for instance so but then noticed that you can see it on the telemetry screen but still think it should be a pop up on the normal driving screen as well.

Anyway at that point after fiddling with the button mapping I went back on track and suddenly there was really heavy wheel weight and improved FFB which I then had to turn down. It seems at the moment that the inconsistency of how the FFB works is actually worse than the first game.

As for the frustrating design decision what I'm referring to is that when you adjust the individual sliders within the flavours it charges them for all flavours rather than individually.. WTF who comes up with these ideas!!! Why make it so that each slider you move does so across all the four flavours :/ Surely they should each be independent of each other. It makes no sense to my logical brain to have them changed across all four flavours as you are most likely going to want different levels of Gain, Volume, Tone and FX depending on what flavour you choose.

I really want to love this game as there are things there that I want to get my teeth into and fully enjoy but things like this just get in the way at the moment. They have made a good move by giving us access to the FFB and other game settings from within the race or practice sessions which was one of the biggest bugbears of the first game but the implementation of it still lacks common sense to me. I can’t get my head around why we now no longer have the ability to save the FFB settings per car like we used to be able to do. That made so much more sense, you loaded your setup and the FFB settings you had settled on for that car were also loaded at the same time. As it is now unless I am missing something you have to keep a written down copy of your FFB settings for every car and then manually enter them again each time that you change to a different car.

The positive of my session was that as I indicated my mini wireless keyboard does seem to work with the button mapping. I have charged up the batteries now so hopefully that will see the intermittent problem resolved. I just need to go through all the various things that can be mapped and see what is the most necessary for me. Are there any that cannot be mapped and have to remain on the wheel? I’ll probably pick up a more suitable USB keyboard after Christmas but I have also been looking at those BBJ Button Boxes which look very nice but at £47.50 they are a bit pricey especially when it’s just for the one game.

I hope to get back to some more testing of the game tonight and will revisit Indianapolis to see if the FFB that I was getting when I stopped the other night is still the same or whether it has reverted to the low level version.

Hammerpgh

​​​​​
​​​​​

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:28 am

Well I have to admit I ready to bin the hole thing off. With around a month away from the start of the season I can’t even get enough guys together to test setting on multiplayer let alone actual multicar racing. There’s been hardly any up take for the series and even October has said he’s off. The games not perfect but it’s really not that bad so I’m left wondering if there’s much point in proceeding with any of the Indycar stuff anymore.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum