I forgot my password

DSRL Support
If you would like to see the ads disappear, have our own domain and improve the overall all look of the DSRL, Click the button below and donate as much or as little as you wish. Many Thanks, The DSRL Staff

Thoughts and reflections?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thoughts and reflections?

Post by stevielow on Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:39 pm

Ladies, Gentlemen, BIG teds and DSRL members,

As one of the original members I am glad to see that we have over 50 members and rising, sadly,however on race nights we struggle to make 16 sometimes.

I didn't get involved this weekend but was privy to some of the fallout from the shenanigans' that took place which caused me to think about the current race nights and the future.  

For those of us, including myself, that are lucky enough to turn up, slip into a lobby and wait for the evening to be set up...... it can be seamless, well once or twice at least. however I think we forget that behind the scenes various people take the time to sort out such things as, websites, timings, grid positions etc.

As I'm sure you are all aware, online racings clubs are plentiful and have been established for a reasonable amount of time, whereas the DSRL is still in its infancy. Some of us are lucky enough to have raced for sometime with our wheels, setups tunes etc, however for people that join, it maybe their first time joining a club and it could be a little intimidating, kind of like joining the scouts and seeing everyone with their badges and special woggle...... for those who remember scouts and woggles  Very Happy

You could argue, of course that tunes are available from the PCARS database but they may not suit your style of driving, but again, unless you are aware of what these settings do, its a bit of a minefield.

So, I will be running some stock racing nights, the first being tomorrow...... why?, well for those that don't want to have to worry about sway bars and toe etc, etc, its an opportunity to jump into a race with everyone having the same car. Its not to replace anything, its really more of an experiment for the future, I haven't decided the car yet but its more than likely to be the focus ST.

As the club gets bigger we need to cater for varying degrees of skill.

If anyone would like to try any cars then please let me know and we can try them out the week after, tracks, cars etc are not set in stone.

I'm going to try to use a public lobby, ill set up an hour practise for people to come in, as its a little more stable and may encourage new member as I will twitch it too. non members will be kicked unless they show an Interest in joining the club.

Now..... a tetchy subject, in game banter (sharp intake of breath), personally, I think it should be kept to a minimum, leave your bragging rights to the pit board, when the race and qually is over, banter away. I find it difficult to concentrate when there is a constant back ground of noise, including TVs up loud etc.... of which I have been guilty of  Very Happy

Unfortunately we cant do anything about connections and drop outs, personally, I think, that if you drop out and cant get back in for the race then that's tough.....unless it happens to us all of course. Look at it as, if you want to take it as serious but fun, as a technical fault with the car, it happens. You wont be the first or last person to drop out... I have, for those of you who know me,they will remember me going into the pits on several occasions when I didn't need too Embarassed it happens doesn't it?

I try to reboot my router, hard reboot my xbox and turn off as many wifi items as possible, probably doesn't make any difference but worth a try.

and finally.....  Very Happy things like, jump starts on formation laps, crashes on formation laps, piling into chicanes on the first lap or safety cars, coming straight onto the track and not filtering in, communication when needed, persistent swearing (personal hate) but then I'm an old git, obviously not as old as MICKO  Laughing, dropping out (retire if poss) stops glitches to name but a few things, just pisses everybody off. most of them can be avoided with a degree of caution.

This is not a rant, I'm sure there are a few of you, who would like air some thoughts or agree, hopefully, with some of the issues that I have raised.

Ultimately we all want the same thing, great racing, good fun and more members!

Thats enough bollocks from me!

see you on the track.

stevielow
stevielow
F3 Div 2 Champion

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmWvptjTrmCImdVWfEQ77pA

Back to top Go down

Re: Thoughts and reflections?

Post by DSRL Webbers88 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:48 pm

Thanks very much Stevie. All opinions and criticisms are all taken onboard and dually noted.

PS. Shots fired at micko!!!

Race Director

View user profile http://www.thedsrl.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stevielow on Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:55 pm

yeah well I cant beat him so got to throw something at him Very Happy
stevielow
F3 Div 2 Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Idiot1995 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:35 pm

If nobody is allowed to chat and have banter then we might as well just go to PRL...
Idiot1995
Pro-Am Driver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stevielow on Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:27 pm

banter is fine but I think we need to be mindful of others
stevielow
F3 Div 2 Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DSRL aidtheace on Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:20 am

I think alot of those members either need reminding that we exsist as a league and let them know what we are currently running as our series. Or removing from the site so we have an acurate number of active members.

I do like the idea of you running some fun events Stevie. Trying to even the field with zero tuning allowed is also cool. And i like the format would explained earlier on xbox chat.

The banter is funny for the most part but i think its fine in the pre game lobby. During qualifying its a no go, but im sure most people do be quite during these sessions. In the race i dont mind chatter as long as its on topic with the race so you can get a better understanding of where you are in comparison to other drivers, like in the pit stop window and what tyre life and fuel are like, and also incidents that have happened within the race. But banter within the races shouldnt be happening if it is. In the top lobby for this current series i havent noticed this but i dont know about the bottom lobby. Either way im sure there are thing like you said that we can do to resolve some of these issues you have raised.
Cheers for the feedback. Smile

DSRL aidtheace
Five Time Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebel Whitey on Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:49 am

Apologies for my foul tongue. I will be more mindful moving forward, however I make no promises. I'm prone to mistakes and frustration, due to lack of talent. Embarassed
Rebel Whitey
Race Host

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DSRL McDuff on Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:45 pm

Have only just seen this Stevie! If I can get on in time I would definitely be up for some standard set up racing.... I feel I need to cut my teeth before I chew the steak!
DSRL McDuff
Pro Driver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by d4ninho on Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:19 pm

i think you would be better off having a rookie championship, most new guys come to race, and in a fun night sometimes it can be a little immature.

also locking it to fixed set up hurts the wheel users as you cannot alter feedback so makes driving horrid.

why not put together a small 4 week thingy aimed at getting new members, somethig fun and easy to drive around easy tracks, 2 races on the night random grids so you can start anywhere.

then post the link everywhere you can, post it on forza forums too in the community section, and remember to hit the assetto corsa forums as that games has been a massive let down too.

I myself had thought about putting a little series on but wasnt sure if i had the time to do all the admin,with work and family and lazyness,lol

why not pop a pole in forums to pick car, maybe even to pick tracks too.

all in all though what this site needs is a constant media drive, perhaps a thread on pcars forums thats updated every race with clips and write ups, tough work but the more you post the more you are out there.
d4ninho
Pro Driver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stevielow on Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:58 pm

hi dan. actually I found that if you create a setup in you garage, the wheel settings stay but all the car stuff defaults.

the reason for the fun nights is to weedle out the idiots, which we did on Wednesday.

A rookie season would be great, think we need a few more rookies yet but I agree about exposure. I did twitch the fun night , sorry open night , under the heading of "thedsrl.com open night " seemed to attract a lot of people. was good that McDuff (unofficial membership admin) sorry chris ...lol was also there to oversee the drivers.

I tended not to get too involved with qually as staying at the back I could watch how people drive, but I think we sent a link to three of four drivers. Be interesting to see if any of them join.

steve
stevielow
F3 Div 2 Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurt MaGurt on Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:08 pm

@stevielow wrote:hi dan. actually I found that if you create a setup in you garage, the wheel settings stay but all the car stuff defaults

This is good to hear, as I always avoided public default lobbies due to this exact reason Dan brought up. Thanks!
Hurt MaGurt
Race Host

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stevielow on Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:16 pm

well I think it does anyway...lol, I tried it last night and it def changed, but that might have been me. lol
stevielow
F3 Div 2 Champion

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top